Saviours' Day Gift 2013 Drive

Monday, February 8, 2010

Anyone can Change their Life with "Determination"

Brother Adrian

I'm 19 years old attending Portland Community College(P.C.C.) right now as a sophomore and planning to transfer to a University of my choice and matriculating Fall 2010 as a junior to finish up my last two years. I plan to get my B.S. in Communication Studies and minor in biology and complete pre-requisite science courses to be applicable for dental schools.

I haven't always wanted to be in the dental field, however, I have always known that I wanted to 1) own my own business and be independent, and 2) Work in a service capacity, doing something to make a change and benefit people everyday.

Today I have a 3.51 gpa but I have certainly not always done as well as I am in school. In fact, I struggled a lot in my freshman and sophomore years of high school, and I fell behind in credits and attendance. I transferred to an alternative school here in Portland in a hope to make something out of nothing it seemed. Nonetheless, before things would get better, things would get worse. I dropped out of the alternative school toward the end of my junior year.

When I was 15 years old I was introduced to the Nation of Islam and the teachings of the Most Hon. Elijah Muhammad. At first it started out as an every other Sunday meeting being picked up by my uncle (an FOI for years) and grew into an every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday routine. I began looking forward to more than just the bean pie and final call newspaper, but gained a love for the brotherhood and the teaching I had never heard anywhere else before. When I dropped out, the brothers encouraged me to not give up but go back to school and get my diploma. I did. Despite being behind in credits, and missing a semester of junior year, I graduated with my class on time, All praise due to Allah.

Now, I am pursuing a career I never imagined I would be going after prior to joining the Nation. I will become a dentist. I got interested in dentistry in my senior year of high school when I entertained the thought of completing a two year degree program for dental hygiene. With the inspiration from the Hon. Minister Louis Farrakhan however, I decided to not just settle for dental hygiene, but to go for what deep down I really wanted to become, the dentist.
I am planning to complete my last two years of undergrad either here in Oregon or at Howard University. I will later attend dental school to become a professional dentist, and I plan to open my own dental office, "Muhammad Family Dentistry". I want to be the Dr. Alim of the Dental field, traveling throughout the country and serving the believers of the Nation. I want to teach young black males and motivate them to not settle for doing something they feel will be "easier" to accomplish, but to go for their hearts desire and bring it into reality. I want to lead innovative research and developments in the dental industry, and most importantly, be a servant of Allah.


-Bro. Adrian

No comments:

Post a Comment